Hemp Seed Oil should be taken daily because EFAs support the cardiovascular, reproductive, immune and nervous systems. Essential Fatty Acids are also needed for proper growth in children, particularly for neural development and maturation of sensory systems, with male children having higher needs than females. Foetuses and breast-fed infants also require an adequate supply of EFAs through the mother's dietary intake.
While there are many sources for Omega-3 PUFA in the diet, Hemp Seed Oil is exceptionally rich in these compounds, which are usually present in the nutritionally optimal ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 PUFA (LA to LNA) of 3:1 (Erasmus, 1999). LA concentrations normally range from 52-62% of total fatty acid composition while LNA concentrations ranges from 12-23%.
The proportions of EFAs in Hemp matches the ratios that have been determined by nutritionists to be most beneficial to human nutrition. Hemp seed oil contains omega 6 and Omega 3 EFAs in an ideal long term ratio of three to one (3:1). It also provides the derivative Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA). Its content of GLA makes it unique among edible seed oils. No other common seed contains GLA. Hemp seed oil's unusually well balanced profile means that one could use it for a lifetime without ever suffering an EFA deficiency.
What's so Great about EFAs?
You need EFAs in your diet more than any other vitamin. Many researchers are linking EFA deficiencies with a variety of degenerative diseases such as cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes, skin afflictions, multiple sclerosis, PMS, behavioral problems, poor wound healing, arthritis, glandular atrophy, weakened immune functions and sterility (especially males). Lack of oxygen is a key factor in degenerative diseases and EFAs help bring oxygen into our system. EFAs serve what seems to be an unending list of vital functions in the body. Here's a sample of some of them:
- Our body uses EFAs to construct membranes, create electrical potentials and move electric currents.
- Their tendency to disperse gives biological systems the power to carry substances such as toxins to the surface of the skin, intestinal tract, kidneys, or lungs, where these substances can be discarded.
- The chemical reactions on which life depends require a one-way movement of energy through molecules. EFAs play an important role in this function.
- EFAs facilitate the recovery of fatigued muscles after exercise.
- EFAs are precursors of prostaglandin's, hormone-like substances that regulate many functions of cells in all tissues.
- EFAs are found around the hereditary material in our chromosomes, where they may play a part in maintaining chromosome stability and may have functions in starting and stopping gene expression.
- EFAs help our immune system resist and fight infections and prevent allergies from developing.
- EFAs are necessary for the development of brain and nerve cells and for healthy liver function.
- Overall, EFAs are involved with producing life energy throughout our systems. They govern growth, vitality and mental state. They hook up oxygen, electron transport and energy in the process of oxidation. Oxidation, the central and most important moment-to-moment living process in our body, is the "burning" of food to produce the energy required for life processes. EFAs govern the life processes in our bodies. Life without them is impossible. When our foods are EFA-poor, we can expect a diversity of health problems.
- Adults: 1 to 2 tablespoons a day (approximately 1 tablespoon per 45Kgs of body weight)*
- Children over 14 months: 2 to 4 teaspoons*
- Babies under 14 months: 1 to 2 teaspoons a day*
This amount should provide between 8 to 16 grams of Omega 6 EFA and between 3 to 6 grams of Omega 3 EFA in a normal adult body.
Due to the high content of precious fragile EFAs, Hemp Seed Oil should never be used for frying or cooking, however it can be poured over pasta to give extra flavour. It may be used straight (1-2 tablespoons per day, or as directed by a doctor) or in place of all other vegetable oils i.e. salad dressings, sauces, marinades and low temperature cooking (below 25˚C).
Hemptons' organic Hemp Seed oil is cold-pressed at temperatures below 20˚ Celsius in an oxygen-free environment and nitrogen capped to maintain freshness.
Hemp Seed Oil requires cool and dark storage conditions - it is the very thing that makes Hemp Seed Oil such a valuable product that makes it vulnerable to spoilage - its high Essential Fatty content.
- An opened container will last for ten- to twelve weeks in the refrigerator but should optimally be used within one- to two weeks.
- An unopened container can be stored indefinitely in the deep freezer and one year in the refrigerator.
- An unopened container can last four to six weeks if stored below temperatures of 25˚ Celsius and away from direct sunlight.
• Organically grown from Non-GMO Seeds-Not Irradiated
• Excellent plant-based source of all Essential Fatty Acids Omega 3-6-9-GLA and CLA
• Optimal ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids at 3:1
• Antioxidant factors with Tocopherols-Tocotrienols and Chlorophyll and Vitamin E
• High in Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids
• Free from Trans-Fats
• Ideal for Vegans and Vegetarians
- Brand: Hemptons
- Product Code: 250NORGOIL
- Reward Points: 146
- Availability: 1
- Ex Tax: R123.34
- Price in reward points: 2460